Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Transition

Greetings from Spam-Town! Yes, I made it here safe and sound :) And for those of you wondering if the actual town smelled like Spam, no, it doesn't. Although my aunt said sometimes when you drive past the factory the smell is horendous! FYI.
So yesterday after my eye apt. I headed for Austin. I got to Wyoming (not the actual state, but the city) where I met my cousin and her husband. Then we had McDonald's for dinner before we hit the road again. We then drove to their house in Lakeville to wait for my aunt to arrive to bring me the rest of the way. I ended up getting to my new home around 10 somethingish. My aunt surprised me and bought me a lot of cool stuff for my room!! Since my favorite color is purple, she bought me purple pillows, blankets, sheets, a garbage can, dresser, and lamp. Everything purple! (I will take pictures of the house and of my room and post them Sunday night. We're getting the internet tomorrow, but, I'll be on the "Back to School Retreat." until Sunday. Also, I'll update you on how that goes!) I started to unpack my things, then I got bored so I decided to get some rest.

This morning my aunt and the 2 kids she nannies (Christian--who just turned 4 today and Sarah who's 10 months) went to get my new cell phone. (Email me if you'd like the #--or ask Brooke or Craig). After that I unpacked more and then received a call from Angie--Corey's wife. She invited me to go to lunch with her and another youth leader named Amanda (who recently tried out for American Idol!!--soon she competes in Rochester against 15 other ppl to see who moves on to Hollywood! So that's pretty exciting). Anyway, I was so glad to have her call me because I didn't want to have to sit alone all day in the house, since I don't really have any friends yet, bored. We went to a fantastic Mexican restaurant!! If any of you come here to visit, that's definetely where we'll go! We had a nice conversation then after lunch Angie dropped me back off at my aunts. From there I unpacked the rest of my stuff. Now, I am at the library. I drove here all by myself! That was exciting since my aunt just told me where to go and I was hoping I'd find it okay. There are a lot of 1-ways so I'm scared I'll accidently turn down one sometime. Hopefully not.

I really like the town so far. It's a little bigger than Hibbing. The population is 23,000. Except, it has more places and restaurants than Hib-town does (as of right now).

Tomorrow I'm headed to Brainerd with their youth group for the "Back to School Retreat" as I mentioned in the beginning. I am super excited to meet more people! Also, i found out that 2 other youth leader girls the same age as me are going to Riverland Community College, so, I will know people :) Yay!

This is a super long post. I'll stop now. I want everyone to keep in touch! If you'd like my address or new cell number, email me at amber.shain@acad.riverland.edu

Much love~
Amber

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Amber thats very cool, was the drive boring. I bet you will have friends in no time. That back to school retreat sounds fun. Well have a good time in Spam Town or...Austing and update your blog alot.

9:06 PM, August 18, 2005  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

Amber, I just spoke to you like 12 hours ago . . . . Still doing well? Do me a favor when next you return. . . . don't bring me Spam. I get enough in my email.

10:19 AM, August 19, 2005  
Blogger Jenni said...

Hey that's awesome Amber. I'm glad to here your adjusting to life there. Well, a little bit. I hope you keep posting on your blog regularly.

tootles! :)

6:59 PM, August 21, 2005  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

Glad you got there safely! Oh, you have to change your location in your profile to Spam-Town instead of Hib-Town

11:38 AM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Natalie said...

hey amber! im glad that you got there ok! when i get my license i am so gonna drive there. that will be awesome! austin sounds cool. ttyl! love you
natalie

11:54 AM, August 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home